Arriving to Rivière Rouge

Published on

As soon as the sisters arrived in Rivière Rouge in 1844, they began teaching in French. Indeed, the purpose of their arrival was “to found a mission, that is, to open a house for the education of young girls in accordance with the wishes of Mgr Provencher”. They then founded convents dedicated to teaching, at Saint-François-Xavier and Saint-Norbert. In St. Boniface, the number of students increased and several small schools were opened to meet demand: École Saint-Charles in 1867, Académie Sainte-Marie in 1869 in Fort Garry (Winnipeg), Académie Taché in 1883 (later Hospice Taché), École Saint-Jean-Baptiste in 1893 and École industrielle de Saint-Boniface in 1899. The congregation contributed to the growth of the French language in what was to become the province of Manitoba.

Source: ASGM, L006-AY2B, St. Boniface Orphanage, Manitoba, 1915
Source: ASGM, L015, Patent Applicants, St. Norbert Convent, Manitoba, 1915