Rousselot Home (1943-2004)

Published on

Like every Friday, we share with you one of the Grey Nuns of Montreal’s works. Today, we present the Foyer Rousselot.

Intended to welcome blind residents, the Foyer Rousselot takes its origin from the Nazareth Institute. With more and more young blind people arriving, the space of the Nazareth Institute was becoming cramped; the pensioners who had passed school age were obliged to withdraw. Sensitive to this situation, the Grey Nuns brought together the former blind students of the Nazareth Institute under one roof: the Foyer Rousselot.

In 1943, they acquired a property to accommodate 25 residents. Sister Blanche Labrosse was the first superior to direct the home, which was then located at 11730 Notre-Dame Street East (Pointe-aux-Trembles).

The work grew over the years. Due to the aging of the residents and the decay of the buildings, a new Foyer Rousselot was inaugurated in 1959 at the corner of Dickson and Sherbrooke streets. Modern and solid, the building had 158 rooms.

The coming into force in 1973 of the Act respecting health and social services forced the Grey Nuns to comply with the new requirements for health and social services. The aging clientele also required an increasing amount of care. In 1992, the home became a residential and long-term care center. Due to declining numbers and a lack of religious personnel, the Grey Nuns withdrew in 2004.


L112,Y1A, Foyer Rousselot, Pointe-aux-Trembles, 1950
L112-001, Foyer Rousselot, Sherbrooke street, after1959

F054C, Film by Sr. Flore Barrette, Foyer Rousselot, ca 1953-1959 :